Veterans' Services

Veterans' Services

The Clatsop County Veterans' Service Officer Program provides free veterans affairs counseling and advocacy to all U.S. veterans, their spouses, their survivors and their children who reside in Clatsop County.

What does the Veterans' Service Officer do?
The veterans' service officer will assist with matters pertaining to the Oregon Division of Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs and related governmental agencies. The veterans’ service officer can help acquire DVA compensation, pension, education and death benefits for county residents. If a claim is denied, this program can help with the appeals process.

The service officer can assist with filing for Service Connected Disability Compensation, Non-Service Connected Pensions, Widows Pensions, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, burial benefits and medical benefits. We can also assist with connecting veterans with other agencies (for example, directing vets to the home loan program offices for vets seeking VA home loans).

The service officer also helps obtain and compile documents necessary to complete the claims filing process. Forms typically include military service and military medical records, Discharges and DD214's, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, birth certificates, civilian medical records, information on the receiving of medals, ribbons and commendations and any other information that may be required by the Veterans' Administration.

PLEASE NOTE: We do not provide transportation. If you need a ride to your medical appointment in Portland or Beaverton, please call (503) 721-7804 at least 3 days in advance. The DVA offers a van that will get you to Portland and back.

Philip Simmons or Buffy Simmons, Veterans' Service Officers
(503) 440-8310 (phone)